CG Engineering, civil and structural engineering and planning for residential and commercial projects

Damage Assessment and Repair

We can help restore your property to its original condition

My property was damaged. What do I do?

CG Engineering has experience working with damage assessment and repair design for variety of structures and situations. We will provide immediate response to damage from accidents, fire, water, or other disasters. Once retained, an experienced structural engineer will arrive on site to assess the damage and assist the property owner in understanding the next steps for re-construction. Based on the engineer’s findings, a summary memo will be provided with recommendations for needed repairs. Depending on the situation, we will design repairs and prepare construction documents suitable for permit, bidding and construction. We can coordinate the permit process as well.

We often help property owners with:

Accidental Damage

If your structure has been compromised by windfall, fire, flood, vehicle impact, earthquake or other disaster, it is important to have a structural engineer determine if it is safe to occupy. Our engineers have experience with assessment and repair design for accidental damage of many varieties. We will design a repair for the damage and work with insurance companies, contractors and permitting agencies to ensure a safe and efficient repair process.

Dry Rot Repair

We specialize in assessment and repair design for buildings that have been compromised by dry rot. If you suspect dry rot in your structure, an engineer should investigate the extent of the damage. Our investigation will often require that we work with a contractor to open walls in key areas of the structure to view the damage. We will present our findings to you along with appropriate repair options, and can help with permitting the repairs if requested.

Slide Damage

Our engineers have experience working with damage due to landslides and erosion. We can design new retaining structures, or present solutions for repair of damaged walls and structures. Our structural team can assess foundations, decks and walls for safety and our civil team can design new drainage solutions to prevent excessive ponding or runoff from further damaging your property. We can also assist in permitting and coordination of additional consultants, as needed.

Damage Assessment FAQs

How much does CG Engineering charge for an assessment?

Situations vary greatly, but we will do our best to provide competitive rates for our professional services. The assessment is the first step in determining the best course of action for repair. Once the assessment is complete, we can give you a quote for the cost to design the repair.

How long will the process take?

Generally, the first site assessment will take two to four hours, depending on the size of the project. The repair design and permitting process usually ranges from 3-6 weeks. Once permits are obtained the contractor can begin work. This is a general guideline, many jurisdictions have additional permitting requirements that take longer. Residents of the City of Seattle often find that permitting takes longer because permit intake appointments are scheduled by the Department of Planning and Development. Appointments are subject to the City’s permitting schedule and workload.

Why should I work directly with an engineer for assessment and repair design?

When you work with CG Engineering you can be assured that your property is being analyzed by a licensed professional engineer. We analyze your structure to determine exactly correct repair required for safety and longevity. Once we’ve developed a repair solution, we provide you with construction-ready documents that you can use to get a permit and contractor bids, giving you the freedom to choose who does the work on your home.

Once a repair plan is developed, who will complete the repair work?

CG Engineering will provide you with construction drawings that you can use to obtain a bid from any contractor you choose. If you would like recommendations, we can put you in touch with contractors we have worked with.

Our Work

Mark Osterhus Residential Repair Client
It was a pleasure working with your firm and your people.  The problem description was quickly and fully understood. An analysis was forwarded to me in time get the repair implemented and  meet my deadline.”

Contact Us

Learn more

Want to learn more about our permitting services for homeowners?